Whoopi Goldberg Reflects on 'Hurt' Caused By Criticism of 1993 Oscars Look
Whoopi Goldberg is finally opening up about the backlash she received over her 1993 Oscars look.
The actress spoke with Page Six at the recent Fashion Group International Night of Stars gala, where she was honored with the American Icon Award, to look back on the outfit that she said "everyone hated."
She went bold on the red carpet with a brocade jumpsuit in purple and green that was embellished with crystals. It was covered up with a royal purple bolero jacket and open-front skirt lined with lime green fabric, paired with a matching set of heels and chandelier earrings.
In the days following, she found herself a member of "every worst-dressed list.”
Today, she admits that her feelings were undoubtedly hurt by the response, but looking back, she wouldn't change anything, noting that she "absolutely" stands by the choice, which was inspired by I Love Lucy's Lucille Ball.
“Lucy would always come out in these great ensembles," she recalled. "And I thought, 'I would like to wear that!' And green is not a color I would normally wear; 'let me try it!'”
But nobody else saw Goldberg's vision. “It hurt my feelings, I’m not going to lie," she told the publication as they discussed the backlash from fashion critics, who typically let loose with no due regard at the time.
It was so upsetting that, for a while, the EGOT winner refused to dress up for anything. "You have to remember, in those days, they would say things and you’d think, ‘Do I really look that ridiculous?'” she said.
As far as we're concerned, she was just manifesting her role in Cinderella, because this look is totally giving a fairy tale.
Next: Whoopi Goldberg Teases Exciting Project Amid 'The View' Absence
from Parade https://ift.tt/VMb47Wp
via IFTTT
Comments
Post a Comment